Everyone is a little different in the way they want to plan for a survival situation. Some people are more defensive oriented, buying guns and ammunition. Others are more sustainably oriented, and focused on energy and food. This list may not suit everyone’s prepping style but it does include the basic needs for survival.
These are some things people can do in order to be more prepared than 90% of the country.
- Head down to your nearest big box store and purchase white or brown rice and dry pinto beans. Rice and Pinto beans have a long storage life so they are perfect for the prepper’s pantry. The next Items on the list are iodized salt, cooking oil, flour, cornmeal, and various spices. These items are not essential but morale is. In a survival situation it is of the upmost importance to have a positive state of mind. In the canned foods section, you will need to pick up your canned fruits and vegetables. It needs to be an assortment of different kinds, but nothing exotic. Buy what you normally eat. To cover the meats, you should choose various types. Canned salmon, spam, and tuna are all good choices. Again you should only buy what you normally eat.
- In a survival situation you need some form of protection. Many peppers go with the .22 rifle because it isn’t costly, ammunition is cheap, and it is easy to store. This allows you to protect yourself and have the opportunity to hunt for small game. It also might be a good idea to have a universal gun cleaning kit on hand.
- You need three basic tools, one for fire, a knife, and a flashlight. In the event of a survival situation, you may not be able to sit next to the nice cozy heater. Lighters, magnesium sticks, and matches are all great. Have a flashlight and extra batteries on hand because night time can get pretty dark if there is no power. One of the best tools to have is a good knife. It doesn’t need to be expensive but a fixed blade knife is the primary survival tool.
- It would be wise to purchase or even make a well built first aid kit with some of your regular medications. In a survival situation there will be a scarcity of doctors and medical supplies.
- Water is essential for survival, if you run out of water then none of this stuff matters. You need to have multiple large containers to store water for long periods of time. It is recommended that you drink 64 oz. of fluid a day. This all depends on how hard you are exerting yourself and the climate you live in.
This is a basic guide for those who want to be prepared in case of a natural disaster or an emergency. Note that this guide does not list the amount of each of these items you should store. This is all dependent on where you live and what you are preparing for. For example if you live in the desert, it would be wise to store more water. This guide is only for the bare essentials of survival.
For information on how U.S. Safe Room can help you prepare for an emergency give us a call at: (888) 588-6751