Perhaps one of the most devastating and violent forms of severe weather, tornadoes have become more and more common over recent years. Mirroring this rise in tornado occurrences is the rise in the popularity of safe rooms. Regions like the Great Plains of the United States are some of the most tornado-dense areas in the world. Every year, thousands of Americans risk injury, death, and property loss when they find themselves in the path of one of these deadly cyclones.
Devastating and Costly Damage
According to USA Today, at least $10 billion in damage was caused by tornadoes and other severe thunderstorms in 2015. This actually marks the eighth year in a row where thunderstorm losses totaled more than $10 billion. However, 2015 also saw the lowest number of deaths caused by tornadoes. The national average for the last 20 years has been about 80 fatalities – this past year saw a sharp decline to only 36.
This could be attributed to where exactly the twisters formed. The vast majority occurred in the Plains region, where there are fewer towns and less people at risk. You can also argue that safe rooms and storm shelters played a significant role in reducing the number of storm-related deaths.
Missouri Commits to Safety
Missouri is one state that often experiences heavy tornado activity. In order to combat the potential loss of life that can result from severe tornadoes and thunderstorms, the state has committed vast resources to the building of community safe rooms. With 195 completed safe rooms and governor approval for another 191 shelters, the completed projects would be capable of protecting more than 215,000 Missourians. Since Governor Jay Nixon was elected in 2009, he has effectively utilized all of his resources to achieve this impressive measure of storm security. Nixon has used FEMA hazard mitigation grant funds to complete these safety projects. This FEMA program provides 75% of the funding for pre-approved safe rooms that meet all design and construction standards. Local grant recipients pay the remaining 25% of safe room costs.
Much like Governor Nixon, you have the choice to make an investment that will protect those most important to you. A safe room or storm shelter from US Safe Room provides optimum security for your family at a reasonable price. With custom size, finish, and door options available, we can adapt each shelter to the specific needs of our customers. We offer above ground safe rooms, underground bunkers, and modular safe room kits. With so many models available, everyone can find the highest-level of protection for their homes.